The earliest reference to Charles Anthony BERTRAM (106) that I initially found was in 1881, when he was at 27 Cambridge Terrace, then part of Sussex Gardens in Paddington, London1. His age was recorded as 28, and his place of birth as Southwold, Suffolk. He was a dressing case maker. The head of the household was his mother Rhoda, then calling herself Rhoda LAWRENCE. Also present was his sister Alice BERTRAM, aged 29, and also born in Southwold. His given age suggests that he was born in 1852 or 1853, after the introduction of civil registration of births. His father was George BERTRAM2, and his mother Rhoda (see above). A Charles Anthony BATRAM was born on 29 Jan 18523, the son of George BATRAM, farmer, and Rhoda BATRAM, formerly BUTLER. The birth was registered at Blything, in Suffolk. Southwold was a sub-district of Blything.
On this basis, I think it likely that this is the birth of the correct Charles Anthony, who was the son of George BERTRAM/BATRAM(163) and Rhoda BUTLER (167).
At the time of the 1861 census4, by which time his mother was housekeeping for Hugh LAWRENCE elsewhere in Southwold, there was a Charles BATTRAM, aged 9, at 154 High Street, Southwold, a boarder and a schoolboy, born in Southwold. This could well be him, as he was not with his mother. I have not found any likely entry for him in the 1871 census.
Charles married Emily TEMPLEMAN(102) on 04 Sep 1882 5 at St. Mary's church, St. Marylebone, London, after banns. His age is given as 30, and he was then living at 48 Seymour Place, and is described as a jewellery salesman. Her age is given as 21, and she was a spinster and domestic servant also residing at 48 Seymour Place. His father is listed as George BERTRAM (deceased), a contractor, and hers as George TEMPLEMAN (deceased), a job master. The witnesses were, so far as I can read them, G. H. GYTON and Sarah GLAZIER.
Charles and Emily had four daughters 6:
I speculate that there was family opposition to the marriage, and so they had to wait until Emily was 21 and did not require parental consent.
Charles filed for divorce, on grounds of adultery, on 21 Mar 1890. The decree nisi was issued on 25 Jul 1890, and the final decree on 16 Apr 1891 7.
In 1891 after his divorce, he was a boarder, described as a widower, aged 38 and a jeweller's assistant in the household of Harry J. THOMPSON at 8 Charlwood Road, St George Hanover Square, Belgrave8.
According to the entry in the marriage register for his daughter Rose Emily BERTRAM and Percy STOWELL in 1903, Charles BERTRAM was then dead. However, I have not so far found any entry in the GRO index for his death between 1882 and 1903. On the other hand, there is a Charles BERTRAM who died in 1915, aged 639 , which could be him, and calling him deceased in 1903 may have been a convenient fiction. Then again, I have not found him in either the 1901 or 1911 census. So his death date remains uncertain.
1) 1881 England census, RG11 , piece 17, folio
76, p.2. Through Findmypast.co.uk.
2) London, England, marriages and banns, 1754-1921, Ancestry.com: Marriage register for St. Mary's Church, Bryanston Square, Westminster, from original in the London Metropolitan Archives, Ref. P89/MRY2, Item 082, p.49, no.97.
3) Birth Certificate. GRO births index, Blything, Suffolk, Mar quarter of 1852, vol.4a, p.655.
4) 1861 England census, Southwold, Suffolk, RG9, piece 1183, folio 63, p.29, through Ancestry.com.
5) Marriage register, see note 2 above.
6) Their names and dates of birth are given in the court papers relating to the divorce of their parents. National Archives, Ref: J77/445/3569 C385115. High Court of Justice, Probate, Divorce and Admiralty Division.
7) Bertram, Charles Anthony v. Bertram, Emily and Fitzroy, Charles. Court minutes and papers relating to the divorce proceedings. National Archives, Ref: J77/445/3569 C385115. High Court of Justice, Probate, Divorce and Admiralty Division. 8) 1891 England census, RG12, piece 75, folio 23, p.39, through Ancestry.com
9) GRO deaths index, West Ham, Essex, Dec quarter 1915, vol.4a, p.164.
© John Stowell 2011 This file last edited on 21 November 2011.
Home | Back to the Bertram page | Surnames
Contact me by E-mail