William and Anne BARTRAM were named as the parents of George BERTRAM(163) who was baptised at Wangford in Suffolk on 17 Dec 18201.
There is a record of a William BARTRAM marrying Ann WATLING on 14 Dec 1818 at Bramfield in Suffolk2, which could be that of George's parents. Pallot's Marriage Index3 indicates that William was of Henham. The hamlet of Henham lies within the parish of Wangford. Other sources say he was born at Uggeshall or Frostenden. It is not uncommon for different birth places to be named in different documents or different census returns, and Wangford, Uggeshall, Frostenden and Henham are all relatively close together, within 3 or 4 km of each other.
If William was at least 21 when he married, then he was born around or before 1798. There is a baptism for a William BARTRAM, son of John BARTRAM and Elizabeth WRIGHT, at Frostenden, Suffolk, on 29 Oct 1796, with birth on 14 Oct 17964, which could be his.
In the 1841 census at Bath House Hill, Wangford5, there was a family, all born in Suffolk, comprising:
At the 1851 census6 there is a record for William and Ann BARTRAM at North Green, Southwold, when their household comprised:
At the 1861 census7, still at North Green, Southwold, William BARTRAM, aged 64, a Labourer, born in Uggeshall and his wife Ann BARTRAM, aged 61, born at Bramfield, were the only ones present. All their children were elsewhere.
A William BARTRAM died in 18628, with his death registered in Wangford district, which is where I would have expected him to be. However, there is a grave in St Edmund's Churchyard, Southwold9, which gives the year of his death as 1880, but this might be for his son William, as Emma and Frederick are also mentioned, or might be a mistaken transcription.
Family trees on Ancestry.com10 have a number of other children than those who appear in the census returns, and a fuller list may be:
It is probable that a number of the children died in infancy or childhood. Some further information on George's siblings is being put into a separate page, and I hope that the Suffolk deaths index from the Suffolk FHS will shed some light when it arrives. The dates given in the above list are from the public family trees on ancestry, and have not (yet) been verified by me.
1) Ancestry.com. England, Select Births and Christenings,
1538-1975 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014. Index
entry only, based on FHL film 918505, no image available curently.
2) England Marriages, 1538Ð1973 , database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NKCB-FYG : 10 December 2014), William Bartram and Ann Watling, 14 Dec 1818; citing Bramfield,Suffolk,England, reference ; FHL microfilm 481,073.
3) Pallot's Marriage Index, compiled over 150 years or more from 1813, is now the property of the Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies, but is widely available through Ancestry.com.
4) Ancestry.com. England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014. Index record only, based on FHL film 919572.
5) 1841 England census, Wangford, Suffolk, HO107, piece 1017, book 5, folio 6, p.4, page image through Findmypast.co.uk.
6) 1851 England census, Southwold, Suffolk, HO107, piece 1803, folio 801, p.3, page image through Findmypast.co.uk.
7) 1861 England census, Blything, RG9, piece 1183, folio 64, p.32, through Findmypast.co.uk.
8) GRO deaths index, Wangford, Suffolk, Dec quarter 1862, vol. 4a, p.435. Copy ordered on 17 Sep 2016.
9) This comes from Findagrave website, and I have requested a photograph of the MI.
© John Stowell 2016 This file last edited on 17 September 2016.