Thomas HOOD(1721) was entered as the father of Charlotte Elizabeth HOOD(1719) who married George TEMPLEMAN (166) in 1852. Thomas was described as a cabinet maker1.
From census returns (see below), Thomas was born in Bridport, Dorset, in 1803/04. There is a birth and baptism record for Thomas HOOD, son of James HOOD and Cathrine, born on 6 Feb 1804 and baptised on 2 May 1804 at the Barrack Street Independent Meeting House, Bridport2. Further, there is a marriage record for James HOOD and Catherine SYMES at Bridport on 8 Apr 18033, and these are likely to be his parents.
The year before his daughter Charlotte Elizabeth married, at the 18514 census, Thomas HOOD, cabinet maker, aged 47 and born in Bridport, Dorset (so born in 1803/04), was at Star Street in Paddington, Marylebone, London, with his wife Elizabeth, aged 42 and born in Bath, Somerset (so born in 1808/09). With them were 4 children:
If these were Charlotte Elizabeth's parents, in 1851 she was not at home but was at Tendring Hall, Suffolk, working as a laundry maid.
There is a record of the marriage of Thomas HOOD and Elizabeth WEBSTER on 28 October 1827 at All Souls' Church, St Marylebone, Middlesex5. The marriage was by banns, and the witnesses were Thomas L. PARKER and Charlotte WEBSTER. The date fits with the birth of Charlotte Elizabeth in 1829. Unfortuately the groom's occupation is not given. The date slao suggests that there may have been other children born between Charlotte Elizabeth and Sarah, before the advent of civil registration. I have so far found baptism or birth records for:
The appearance of the Webster name in the given names of two of the boys gives confidence that their mother was in fact Elizabeth WEBSTER.
At the 186115 census Thomas HOOD, aged 57, cabinet maker, born at Bridport, Dorset, was at 38 Dorset St., St Marylebone, with his wife Elisabeth, aged 51 born at Bath, Somerset, and two remaining children:
Since I have not found Thomas in the 1871 census, he may have died between 1861 and 1871. A likely death is Thomas HOOD, who died on 5 Oct 1865 at 4 Upper Southwick Street, Paddington16. His age on the death certificate is given as 62 when in fact he would have been 61. The informant was George HOOD, also of 4 Upper Southwick Street, Paddington, probably Thomas' youngest son.
1) Holy Trinity, Marylebone Road, Register of Marriages,
1852, p.218, no.431. Source: London Metropolitan Archives, Ref. P89/TRI, Item 051,
through Ancestry.com, accessed 12 Jun 2014.
2) Findmypast, accessed 12 Jun 2014. National Archives, RG4/457, Register of Baptisms at Barrack Street Independent Meeting House, Bridport, Dorset, from 1795 to 1819, through www.bmdregisters,co.uk, accessed 12 Jun 2014.
3) IGI Familysearch, from FHL film 2427418, Parish Registers for St Mary's Church, Bridport, Dorset, 1600-1991, accessed 16 Jun 2014. No image available online.
4) 1851 England census, Paddington, HO107, piece 1467, folio 603, p.82, through Findmypast.co.uk, accessed 12 Jun 2014.
5) Register of Marriages, All Souls, Langham Place. Source: London Metropolitan Archives, P89/ALS, Item 046, p.65, no.195, through Ancestry.com, accessed 11 Apr 2014.
6) Register of baptisms, p.167, no.395, St Pancras Old Church, London Metropolitan Archives, P90/PAN1. Item 016, through Ancestry.com.
7) Brompton Holy Trinity, Register of Baptisms, London Metropolitan Archives, P84/TRI2, Item 001, through Ancestry.com, accessed 16 Jun 2014.
8) Baptism register of St James, Paddington, Ancestry.com using FHL film 579297, accessed 16 Jun 2014. No image of register so no additional information. It is not possible to say whether these are the correct parents.
9) St Mary, Paddington Green, Register of Baptisms, London Metropolitan Archives, P87/JNE1, Item 002, through Ancestry.com, accessed 16 Jun 2014. GRO births index, Chelsea, Dec quarter 1837, vol.3, p.188.
10) St Mary, Paddington Green, Register of Baptisms, London Metropolitan Archives, P87/JNE1, Item 002, through Ancestry.com, accessed 16 Jun 2014. GRO births index, Kensington, Mar quarter 1840, vol.3, p.277.
11) See note 9 above. Father Thomas HOOD, cabinet maker, of 23 Star Street. GRO births index, Kensington, London, Mar quarter 1843, vol.3, p.298.
12) Burial register, St Mary, Paddington Green, London Metropolitan Archives, P87/MRI, Item 066, through Ancestry.com, accessed 16 Jun 2014.
13) Baptism register of St James, Paddington, Ancestry.com using FHL film 579297, accessed 16 Jun 2014. No image of register so no additional information. GRO births index, Kensington, Jun quarter 1845, vol.3, p.316.
14) GRO births index, Kensington, Sep quarter 1848, vol.3, p.348, probably him.
15) 1861 England census, St Marylebone, RG9, piece 76, folio 54, p.43, through Findmypast.co.uk, accessed 12 Jun 2014.
16) Death certificate. GRO deaths index, Kensington, Dec quarter 1865, vol.1a, p.26.
© John Stowell 2014 This file last edited on 1 July 2014.
Home | Surnames
Contact me by E-mail