James HOOD(2199) was baptised on 25 Nov 1778 at the New Meeting House, Barrack Street, Bridport 1, and was presumably born earlier that year.
The baptism record gives his parents as Samuel and Sarah HOOD, and suggests that his father was an agricultural labourer. A family tree on Ancestry 2 shows him as the seventh of nine children of Samuel HOOD(2289) and Sarah COOK(2290), who married in 1768 at Bridport, and gives his birth date as 25 Nov 1778, but it is not clear where this all comes from, and probably has confused his birth with his baptism.
James married Catharine SYMES (2200) on 8 Apr 1803 at Bridport, Dorset 3, when he would have been 24.
They had 8 children for whom there are birth and baptism records, plus possibly one other son:
At the 1841 census4, James HOOD, aged 60, was at Factory(?) in Symondsbury, Dorset, which is a couple of km NW of Bridport, and his occupation was described as F. Mill (flax miller?). Also present were:
James HOOD died on 16 Mar 18504 at Symondsbury. On his death certificate he was described as a spinner.
He was buried at Symondsbury on 24 Mar 1850, aged 715.
1) National Archives, RG4/71, Register of baptisms
at Barrack Street Independent Meeting House in Bridport, Dorset from 1751 to 1793,
with a Register of Burials from 1750 to 1786, through BMDregisters.co.uk, accessed
16 Jun 2014. The page image comes from this source.
2) Way Family Tree, http://trees.ancestry.com.au/tree/31101806/person/12461459979.
3) Page image from the marriage register of Bridport, 1803, p.264, no.1068, through Ancestry.com, accessed 6 Oct 2014, from original at Dorset Record Office, Ref: PE/BT: RE4.
4) 1841 England census, HO 107, piece 282, book 9, folio 29, p.3, through Ancestry.com, accessed 6 Oct 2014.
5) Death certificate. His death was registered at Bridport, Mar quarter of 1850, vol.8, p.37.
6) Burial register for the parish of Symondsbury, p.89, no.711, page image through Ancestry.com, accessed 6 Oct 2014, from original at Dorset History Centre; Dorset Parish Projects; Ref: PE/SYM: RE 3/7, 4/1, 5/1-4.
© John Stowell 2014 This file last edited on 29 October 2014.