- Birth: 10 Oct 1770 at Kirkham, Lancashire .
- Christening: 01 Nov 1770 .
- Death: 04 May 1838 [1,2].
- Burial: 07 May 1838, Church Hill, Fenelon Falls, Upper Canada (now Ontario) [1,2].
- Occupation: Merchant
- Education: not known
- Father: Thomas LANGTON of Ash Hall, Kirkham, Lancashire (1724-1794) [1,2].
- Mother: Jane LEYLAND (ca 1731-1774).
- ca.1787: Aged 17 was sent to Riga, then in Russia, on behalf of Messrs. Thorley,
Morrison and Co. with promise, not entirely fulfilled, of a partnership when he reached his majority.
He remained in Riga for 15 years, only visiting England once during this period. 
- ca.1802: Returned to England and married (see below), renting and settling into
Farfield, in the parish of Addingham, West Riding of
- 1804: Purchased Blythe Hall, in the parish of
- 1807: appointed Deputy Lieutenant of Lancashire.
- 1815-1821: Travel with his family around Europe, mainly Switzerland, Italy, Germany
- 1826: Commercial crisis and winding up of his affairs, including the sale of Blythe Hall.
Moved to Bootle, Lancashire.
- 1837: Left Liverpool for Canada, via New York, and settled at his son John's property on
Sturgeon Lake, Upper Canada.
- Marriage: 06 Apr 1802 .
- Spouse: Ellen CURRER(331).
- Birth: before 25 Jul 1766.
- Christening: 25 Jul 1766, Clapham, Yorks. WR .
- Death: 01 Aug 1846.
- Burial: Fenelon Falls, Upper Canada.
- Father: Rev. William CURRER(266) (1717-1803).
- Mother: Ann STOKOE(267) (1723-1800).
- Notes: Ellen was a sister of my 3 x great-grandmother Ann Currer(10).
- William LANGTON(1290) (1803-1881)
- Anne LANGTON(1292) (1804-1893).
- Thomas LANGTON(1291) (1806-1812)
- John LANGTON(1293) (1808-1894)
My attention was brought to the interesting information avalable on the Langton family by Chris
Birch, to whom I am most grateful.
Sources for this page
- Pedigree of Langton, of Preston and Broughton Court, afterwards of Kirkham, in Joseph Foster,
Pedigrees of the County Families of England, Vol.1, Lancashire, London, Head Hole & Co., 1873.
- Letters of Thomas Langton to Mrs Thomas Hornby, 1815-1818, with portraits and a notice of
his life, Printed for private circulation by his grandchildren, Manchester, J E Cornish, 1900. Some
parts have been placed on the web as part of a
- A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland, Vol.1,
A-L, by John Burke and John Bernard Burke, London, Henry Colburn, 1848.
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography. There are entries for
Anne Langton and for John Langton, both of
which also contain information on their father.
- Parish register of Clapham, WR Yorkshire, 1595-1812 as transcribed by the Yorkshire Archaeological
Society and microfilmed by the LDS FHL, film no. 98551, item 3.
© John Stowell 2008
Last updated on 07 Jul 2008.
Back to the main Currer page |
Contact me by E-mail