Catherine MACHELL(212), always known as Kitty, was the daughter of Thomas MACHELL(1116) (1726-1802) and Ellen MICHAELSON (1117)1. The Leonard Tatham Stowell manuscript2 says that Catherine was the daughter of Thomas MACHELL and Ann MICHAELSON of Green Bank. Catherine MACHELL, daughter of Thomas MACHELL, gent., of Aynsome, was baptised at Cartmel on 1 May 17743, so probably born earlier that year.
In 1796 Catherine married Reginald REMINGTON of Melling. There is a marriage bond dated 12 Oct 17964, which was entered into by Reginald REMINGTON, and George BAINBRIG of Kirkby Lonsdale, presumably a relative of Reginald's through his mother Isabel BAINBRIG / BAINBRIDGE. The actual marriage took place on 15 Oct 1796 at Cartmel5.
I have a list of nine children, though Cockerill lists only four (named) sons and four (unnamed) daughters.
Their children were:
There is further information on Ellen REMINGTON's siblings and their descendants, though I have not attempted any very thorough compilation. Still, it runs to 25 pages, and is available as a pdf file which I am happy to send to anyone who is interested.
At the 1841 census6 Ellen was at Crow Trees, in Melling, aged 67, and of independent means. Also in the household was another Catherine REMINGTON, aged 4 (or 42?), and two other people, presumably servants. Her husband was at Aynsome, with his son the Rev. Thomas who had inherited that place from his uncle in 1826.
At the 1851 census7 she was still at Crow Trees, aged 76, and this time her husband was present, together with two of their unmarried children, and a cook.
Catherine died at Melling, aged 82, on 7 Mar 18578, the informant being entered as Mr Remington of Melling, presumably her elder son Henry who would have inherited Crow Trees on his father's death in 1854. She was buried in Melling churchyard on 14 Mar 18579.
She is included in a memorial tablet at the left hand end of the north wall of Melling church.
This memorial tablet has been transcribed as10:
|In memory of
REGINALD REMINGTON Esq.
who died Aug 10 1854 aged 83 years:
CATHERINE his Wife died March 7 1857 aged 83:
JOHN their 3d Son died Sep 2 1817 aged 14
THOMAS their 3d Son in Holy Orders, Fellow
of Trin. Coll. Cambridge. Incumbent of
Cartmel 26 years, died May 5 1855 aged 55
ISABEL their second Daughter
died Feby 3d 1867 aged 61 years.
WILLIAM their youngest Son
died May 20th 1889 aged 76 years.
CATHERINE their youngest Daughter
died at Church Gates, Melling
August 5th 1898 aged 83 years.
1) Pedigree of Machel of Aynsome, in The Machell and
Remington Families of Aynsome, Cartmel, by Timothy Cockerill. Art. 18, Transactions of the
Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, Vol. 89, 1989, p.267.
2) This is some pages of notes on ancestors compiled by Uncle Leonard Stowell, with no indication of where his information came from.
3) Lancashire Online Parish Clerk, based on FHL film 1040490, item 2-11; Bishop's transcripts for Cartmel, 1664-1882.
4) Lancashire, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1936, from original parish records at Lancashire Archives, Preston. Marriage Bond image through Ancestry.com.
5) Lancashire Online Parish Clerk, based on FHL film 1040490; see note 3 above.
6) 1841 England census, Melling with Wrayton, HO107, piece 530, book 5, folio 3, p.1, through Ancestry.com, accessed 18 Jan 2016.
7) 1851 England census, Melling with Wrayton, HO 107, piece 2273, folio 146, p.1, through Ancestry.com, accessed 18 Jan 2016.
8) Death certificate. Her death was registered at Lancaster in the Mar quarter of 1857, vol.8e, p.413.
9) Lancashire, England, Church of England Deaths and Burials, 1813-1986, page image of the Melling, St Thomas, burial register through Ancestry.com from original parish records at the Lancashire Archives, Preston, Ref. Pr 2989/1/10, p.136.
10) The Lancashire Family History and Heraldry Society.
© John Stowell 2016 This file last edited on 6 Aug 2016.