Frederick Lindon Coulson PARKYN(578) was born in 1875, and his birth was registered at Croydon, Surrey1. He was the son of Nathaniel Lindon PARKYN and his first wife Eliza Margery M.COULSON, who married in 1873 2. Frederick died in on 20 Apr 19243, aged just 48.
His mother, Eliza COULSON died, aged only 32, when Frederick was three4, and in 1880 his father married again, Anna Mary FRISCH5 . Thus at the time of the 1881 census6, aged 5, Frederick is at 44 Canning Road, Croydon, Surrey. His father was then 30, a free church minister, and his step-mother, Anna Mary, was 29. Also present were a girl, Mary Lock FRISCH, aged 7, and a boy William FRISCH, aged 6, both born in Croydon. So Frederick's step-mother was presumably a widow. However, she also died, later in 18817. Twice widowed, Frederick's father married a third time, to Edith GATES, in 18828. Thus by the time of the 1891 census 9 his step-mother is Edith, aged 30, and the family is at 22 Grosvenor Road, Chiswick. Frederick has two younger half-siblings; Alice Annie PARKYN, aged 9, and Edith G. L. PARKYN, aged 7. Also present was Jane T. COULSON, aged 57, described as sister-in-law. Alice Annie's birth was registered in the same quarter10 as the death of Anna Mary FRISCH, her mother, suggesting that Anna Mary died in childbirth.
Frederick was trained as a Church of England clergyman, and was ordained Deacon in 1900 at Llandudno, Priest in Manchester in 1903. From 1906 he was vicar of Clayton-le-Moors, Lancashire and then from 1909 to 1918 he was Vicar of Holy Trinity, Southport, Lancashire11. A board in Holy Trinity, Southport, also indicates that he was Vicar there from 1909 to 1918.
On 14 Oct 1903 at St. Satthew's Church, Lightcliffe, Frederick married Charlotte Lucy PEEL12 . Charlotte was born in 1870 in the West Riding13. At the time of the 1911 census 14 he and Charlotte Lucy (aged 39 born in Lightcliffe, Yorkshire, not far from Halifax) were at 58 Hoghton St., Southport, Lancashire, next door to Holy Trinity Church where he was then Vicar. In the sencus returns there were three children:
I have not found further births after 1911, so I think there were just the three children.
At Southport, Frederick and his wife got to know Percy STOWELL and his wife Rose Emily, and a relationship seems to have developed between him and Rose Emily to the extent that some time probably in 1918 they went away together and began living as man and wife. Frederick resigned his living, and on 21 May 1918 he was gazetted Chaplain to the Territorial Force22, and possibly went to France. In 1919, Percy STOWELL divorced Rose Emily23, and at some stage she changed her name to PARKYN. Frederick had two children by her:
When Frederick died his address was White Cottage, Totternhoe near Dunstable, Bedfordshire. His will was proved on 30 May 1925 and probate granted to Rosie Emily STOWELL single woman. The effects were £29024. A Charlotte L. Parkyn died in 1951, aged 8125. It would seem that she moved to Worcester, with her children, and that she did not divorce Frederick.
1) GRO births index, Croydon, Sep quarter of
1875, vol.2a, p.211.
2) GRO marriage index, Penzance, Cornwall, Dec quarter of 1873, vol.5c, p.547.
3) GRO deaths index, Luton, Bedfordshire, Jun quarter of 1924, vol.3b, p.399. His date of death is given in the probate calendar, see note 21 below.
4) GRO deaths index, Croydon, Surrey, Dec quarter of 1878, vol.2a, p.143.
5) GRO marriage index, Croydon, Surrey, Mar quarter of 1880, vol.2a, p.321.
6) 1881 England census, RG11, piece 813, folio 112, p.11.
7) GRO deaths index, Croydon, Surrey, Jun quarter of 1881, vol.2a, p.136.
8) GRO marriage index, Croydon, Surrey, Sep quarter of 1882, vol.2a, p.421.
9) 1891 England census, RG12, piece 1034, folio 132, p.25.
10) GRO births index, Croydon, Surrey, Jun quarter of 1881, vol.2a, p.278.
11) Crockford's Clerical Directory, 1908 and 1914.
12) Marriage register of St Matthews Church, through Ancestry.com. Original records with the West Yorkshire Archive Service, Wakefield, New Ref. WDP47/1/3/1; also GRO marriage index, Halifax, Yorkshire, Dec quarter of 1903, vol.9a, p.791.
13) GRO births index, Halifax, Yorkshire, Sep quarter of 187, vol.9a, p.402.
14) 1911 England census, RG14PN22879 RG78PN1340A RD457 SD6 ED13 SN80, through Findmypast.co.uk.
15) GRO births index, Blackburn, Lancashire, Jun quarter of 1905, vol.8e, p.344.
16) GRO deaths index, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, Sep quarter 1946, vol.9d, p.1.
17) GRO births index, Blackburn, Lancashire, Sep quarter of 1908, vol.8e, p.326.
18) GRO marriage index, Kidderminster, Worcestershire, Jun quarter of 1971, vol.9d, p.1010/S.
19) GRO deaths index, Kidderminster, Worcestershire, Jun quarter of 1973, vol.9d, p.309. Born on 30 Apr 1908.
20) GRO births index, Ormskirk, Lancashire, Jun quarter of 1911, vol.8b, p.834.
21) GRO deaths index, Worcester, Worcestershire, Mar quarter of 1934, vol.6c, p.150
22) Supplement to the London Gazette, 12 Jun 1918, p.6994, online.
23) The Times, Sat 15 Nov 1919. Law Report, Probate, Divorce and Admiralty Division.
24) England and Wales, National Probate Calendar, through Ancestry.com.
25) GRP deaths index, Worcester, Dec quarter of 1951, vol.9d, p.274.
© John Stowell 2011 This file last edited on 15 December 2011.
Home | Back to the Bertram page | Surnames
Contact me by E-mail