- Birth: 22 Feb 1785, presumably at Halifax [1,2].
- Christening: 15 Apr 1785, Northgate End, Halifax .
- Death: 1873, Wirral .
- Burial: not known.
- Occupation: Gentleman, annuitant, landed proprietor [England census, see below].
- Education:not known
- Father: Christopher RAWDON(801)
- Mother: Sophia JAMES(804)
Armitage, H. (1967) gives only the date of
Joshua's birth, and then says that "of James and Joshua we know very little". However, Joshua
was left an annuity in his father's will (see below), and also, it seems, married, despite
Armitage writing that he appears never to have married.
- 1809: There exists an archive reference to the presence of a Joshua Rawdon among
a group of British Merchants resident in the city of St. Sebastian in the Rio de Janiero,
Brazil. If this was the same Joshua he would have been in his mid-twenties. Business or trade
with Brazil also seems to have been something that my great-grandfather Archibald Briggs was
- 1822 Will: of Christopher Rawdon(801). The will is dated 1 Feb 1822,
and bequeaths to Joshua an annuity of £500, to be paid as mentioned in the will during
his life, and empowering him to settle any part not exceeding one moiety thereof on any wife
he might happen to marry, and after his decease (except as regards so much as he should settle
on his wife) to his children in their minority; and charging his (i.e. the testators) real and
personal estate with the payment thereof; and also with the payment of the sum of £10,000
to be equally divided amongst the children of the said testator's son Joshua when they should
respectively attain the age of twenty-one years .
- 1851 England Census: at 117 Shaw Street, Everton, Lancs.
Joshua Rawdon, head of household, married, 64, describing himself as "Gentleman, annuitant",
and born in Halifax, Yorks. Also:
Everilda Rawdon, wife, married, 47, born in Rochdale, Lancs.
Also seven children, James, Henry, George, Francis, Everilda, Christopher and Charlotte,
all born in Liverpool, Lancashire.
- 1861 England Census: at Rook Lane, Higher Bebington, Cheshire.
Joshua Rawdon, head of household, married, 75, now describing himself as "landed proprietor",
born in Halifax, Yorkshire. Also:
Everlida Rawdon, wife, married, 56, born in Rochdale, Lancs.
Also present were six children, Henry, George, Joshua, Everilda, Christopher and Charlotte.
Later, at the time that his brothers were selling up their properties around the Calder Valley,
Armitage (1967) says that Joshua decided to forgo his annuity in order to release the land so that
it could be sold.
- Marriage: 30 Sep 1834, St. Luke's Church, Bold St., Liverpool, Lancashire .
- Spouse: Everilda Sarah HAMER(1286).
- Birth: 1804-05, Rochdale, Lancs. [from christening record].
- Christening: 15 Jan 1805, St. Chad, Rochdale, Lancashire .
- Death: 1 May 1865, probably at Rook Lane, Higher Bebington, Cheshire [6,7].
- Burial: unknown.
- Father: James HAMER .
- Mother: Elizabeth .
- Notes: The only IGI reference to a James Hamer marrying and Elizabeth is in Jul 1805,
which seems an inappropriate, though not impossible, date.
- James Hamer RAWDON (1835-1916)
- Henry Greenwood RAWDON (1837-1900)
- George Wordsworth RAWDON (1839-1901)
- Joshua Francis RAWDON (1840-1901)
- Everilda Amelia RAWDON (1842-?)
- Christopher RAWDON (1845-1879)
- Charlotte Matilda RAWDON (1846-?)
These seven children are listed in the family tree posted by Sue Edwards on Ancestry. They also
all appear, though not with their full names, in the 1851 England Census, and six of them in the
1861 England Census (see above). The births of the five children from George Wordsworth on appear
in the GRO Births Index. James and Henry pre-date registration.
Sources for this page
- Armitage, H. (1967), p.40.
- IGI from parish records of Northgate End church.
- IGI from parish records. FHL film 1545920 - original Parish Registers 1871-1959,
and film 1068951 Bishop's Transcripts 1831-1874.
- IGI, which does not quote the source, but the FHL has filmed both Bishop's Transcripts
and the original Parish Registers covering this time period, so these are presumably the
- GRO Deaths Index, Sep 1873, Wirral, vol.8a, p.262.
- GRO Deaths Index, Jun 1865, Wirral, vol.8a, p.249.
- Probate Records quoted in a website now discontinued, which refer to the letters of
administration of the estate of Everilda, and remain to be tracked down.
© John Stowell 2009
This file last edited on 26 Oct 2009.
Back to the main Rawdon page |
Contact me by E-mail