Ann SHEAN(2153) married Joseph TEMPLEMAN (2152) at Corton Denham in Somerset on 3 Oct 1796 1 and they were probably the parents of John TEMPLEMAN, who was baptised at Corton Denham on 18 Dec 1796 2.
From the 1841 and 1851 census returns (see below) Ann was born in 1772/73 in Corton Denham, and there is a record for an Ann SHEAN, daughter of William and Betty SHEAN, being baptised at Corton Denham on 7 Mar 17733 which matches the census and marriage records.
Possible parents for Ann are William SHEAN and Betty REEVES, who were married by banns at St Andrew's, Corton Denham, on 11 Apr 1763.
Ann and Joseph seem to have carried on living at Corton Denham, and there are baptismal records4 for seven other children with parents Joseph and Ann TEMPLEMAN which are probably theirs. The complete list is:
At the 18415 census, Ann was with Joseph at Weathergrove in the field called Woodhouse (this is as transcribed, I found the image difficult to make out), Sandford Orcas, in Dorset. Weathergrove is about 1 km NNE of Sandford, and is actually nearer to Corton Denham than Sandford which is just across the county boundary and maybe an hour's walk from her birthplace at Corton Denham. She was then 69.
At the following census in 1851 6 she and Joseph were back at Corton Denham at Holway Farm House (transcribed as Halway), which is actually a short distance east of Sandford7. She was then 78, and they were both described as paupers. This was the first census to include place of birth, and hers was Corton Denham.
Ann died, aged 86, on 26 Jan 1856 8 at Corton Denham, described as the wife of Joseph TEMPLEMAN, agricultural labourer. The informant was Mary TEMPLEMAN, possibly her daughter, who made her mark. Ann was buried at St Andrew's, Corton Denham, on 1 Feb 18569.
1) Transcribed marriage registers for St Andrew,
Corton Denham, 1538-1812, through FreeREG.
2) Transcribed baptism registers for St Andrew, Corton Denham, 1538-1919, through available through FreeREG.
3) See note 2 above.
4) See note 2 above.
5) 1841 England census, Sandford Orcas, Somerset, HO107, piece 945, folio 3, p.1, through Findmypast.co.uk, accessed 16 May 2014.
6) 1851 England census, Corton Denham, Somerset, HO107, piece 1931, folio 239, p.8, through Findmypast.co.uk, accessed 16 May 2014.
7) Weathergrove and Holway are shown on the 1945 1 inch to 1 mile OS map sheet 166 availably online through www.visionofbritain.org.uk, and the 1:10560 (6 inch to 1 mile) OS county series maps, available online through www.british-history.ac.uk.
8) Death certificate. GRO deaths index, Wincanton, Somerset, Mar quarter 1856, vol.5c, p.355.
9) Transcribed burial registers of St Andrew, Corton Denham, 1559-1913, through FreeREG, accessed 15 May 2014.
© John Stowell 2014 This file last edited on 26 June 2014.