JAMES DICK STEWARD(181) (1818-1885)
Birth and death
- Birth: 23 Mar 1818  at Paglesham,
Essex [IGI based on member submission, 1861 England census].
- Christening: not known.
- Death: 25 Mar 1885 [59, GRO deaths index,
Jun quarter of 1885, Woolwich, 1d, 614]
- Father: James STEWARD(123) (1794-1870).
- Mother: Alice LACELL(124) (1795-1844).
- 1861 England Census: Aged 43, at Bitterne, Hampshire, head of household, married, a Commander
with the P & O S N Company. Also present are his wife, Mary L Steward, 32, born in Rochford, Essex, and
There are also a cook, Mary Parker, 26, a nurse, Elizabeth Rae, 23, and a maid, Ellen Aslatt(?), 15.
- Mary A. Steward(440), 5, a scholar
- James W Steward(441), 4, a scholar
- George Edgar Steward(442), 2
- Philip M Steward(443), 4 mo.
- 1881 England Census: Aged 63, at 29 Victoria Road, Charlton, Greenwich, head of household,
married, a retired Commander with the P & O S N Company. Also present are his wife Mary L Steward
(439), and three unmarried chldren:
Also present were two general servants, Clara Lonsley, 18, and Ellan Marchant, 21.
- Mary A Steward(440), 25, of no occupation.
- Amy L Steward(444), 18, of no occupation.
- Douglas V Steward(447) 6, a scholar.
Alice Sophia Briggs wrote that her brother worked for the P &O, which is confirmed by the census
entries above. Based on occasional shipping reports in The Times, in 1858 James Dick was master
of the Alhambra, in 1867 of the Euxine and later of the China, and in 1872 and
1880 of the Khedive, which may have been his last command as by 1881 he was retired. James Dick
also gets many mentions in Alice Sophia's privately printed diary.
- Marriage: 26 May 1853, at Ringwood [The Times, 28 May 1853, GRO marriage index,
Jun quarter of 1853 (Ringwood, 2b, 829)], by the bride's father.
- Spouse: Mary Louisa HARRIS(439).
- Birth: 25 Mar 1829, Rochford, Essex [Rootsweb and IGI based on church records].
- Christening: 16 Aug 1829, Rochford [IGI based on church records].
- Death: 1899 [GRO deaths index Mar quarter 1899, Woolwich, 1d, 791], aged 69.
- Burial: not known
- Father: The Rev George HARRIS(260)
- Mother: Charlotte LACELLE(259)
- Notes: Charlotte was the sister of Alice Lacelle who married James Steward.
© John Stowell 2006
Last updated on 04 Nov 2006.
Back to the main Steward page
Contact me by E-mail