MARY ALICE (MAY) STEWARD(440)
Birth and death
- Birth: 10 Apr 1855  at Bitterne,
Hampshire [1861 England census]. GRO Births index for the Jun quarter of 1855 (S. Stoneham,
- Death: not known
- Father: James Dick STEWARD(181) (1818-1885).
- Mother: Mary Louisa HARRIS(439) (1829-1899).
- 1861 England Census: Aged 2, staying at Bitterne with her parents and three siblings:
- James Steward, aged 4
- George Edgar Steward, aged 2
- Philip Morton Steward, aged 4 mo.
- 1881 England Census: At 29 Victoria Road, Charlton, Greenwich, 25, unmarried and of no occupation,
the household of her father, 63, now retired. Also present are her mother, Mary L Steward, 51, and two of Mary
Alice's siblings :
- Amy L Steward, 18, unmarried and of no occupation.
- Douglas V Steward, son, 6 and a scholar.
I have not so far found her in the 1871 census, and possibly at that time the family were overseas.
- Marriage: 1885, [59,
GRO marriage index, Jun quarter of 1895 (Woolwich, 1d, 1483)].
- Spouse: Frank Irvine PETLEY(448).
- Birth: 1855, Old Charlton, Kent [1901 England census, GRO births index, Jun quarter of 1855,
Lewisham, 1d, 591].
- Death: not known.
- Father: Captain John Eaton PETLEY, RN (1815-1887)
- Mother: Jane (1815-?)
- Notes: Frank Irvine Petley worked for the Eastern Telegraph Company
, and is described in census returns as a cable
engineer (1881) or telegraph engineer (1901).
- Harold Wallace PETLEY (b. 1885 )
- Ethel Margaret PETLEY (b. 1888-1936)
- Cyril Eaton PETLEY (b. 1890)
- Gladys Mary PETLEY (b. 1891)
Ethel Margaret GANGE, nee PETLEY, died on 14 Oct 1936 [The Times, 1936]. The announcement
suggests that her parents were still alive at the time.
Gladys Mary PETLEY married Leslie FABRICIUS on 23 Jul 1918. At the time she was living with her
parents at 192 Victoria Road, Charlton [The Times, 26 Jul 1918]. A son was born on 13 May 1919
[The Times, 15 May 1919].
© John Stowell 2006
Last updated on 05 Nov 2006.
Back to the main Steward page |
Contact me by E-mail