GEORGE EDGAR STRINGER STEWARD(442)
Birth and death
- Birth: 1859  at Bitterne,
Hampshire [1861 England census]. GRO Births index for the first quarter of 1859 (S. Stoneham,
- Death: 14 Nov 1913 at Blackheath Cottage Hospital, suddenly, from an accident
[The Times, of 17 Nov 1913]. GRO deaths index for the Dec quarter of 1913
(Woolwich, 1d, 1234). He was 55.
- Burial: not known.
- Occupation: a mercantile clerk (1891) and later a discount broker (1901).
- Father: James Dick STEWARD(181) (1818-1885).
- Mother: Mary Louisa HARRIS(439) (1829-1899).
- 1861 England Census:Aged 2, staying at Bitterne with his parents and three siblings:
- Mary A. Steward, aged 5
- James Steward, aged 4
- Philip Morton Steward, aged 4 mo.
- 1871 England Census: Aged 12, a pupil at a school in Millbrook, Hampshire, with his brother Philip
M. Steward, aged 10. The school was run by Emily Allford, 35. There were 16 boys at the school aged between
8 and 12.
- 1891 England Census: At 2 Champion Terrace, Blackheath Road, Charlton, aged 32, unmarried, a
mercantile clerk, born at Bitterne, son of the head of household Mary L. Steward, a widow living on her
own means, who was born in Rochford, Essex. Also present are:
1901 England Census: At 168 Victoria Road, Charlton, Greenwich, aged 42, married, a disount
broker working on his own account, born at Southampton. Also Mabel L. Steward, his wife, 33, born at
Portsmouth, Hants. Also present are children:
- Charlotte R. Steward, daughter, 23, single, a school mistress, born in Bitterne.
- Frances J. Steward, son, 19, a medical student, born in Bitterne.
- Douglas V. Steward, son, 16, a scholar, born at Bitterne.
- George C. S.(?) Fry(?), a visitor, 29, solocitor, born in Scotland.
- Alfred S. Rathbone, boarder, 37, single, a journalist, and George's cousin.
- two servants (a housemaid and a cook).
There are also two servants.
- Kenneth N. Steward, 6, born at Blackheath.
- David H. Steward, 5, born at Blackheath.
- Mary C. Steward, 2, born at Blackheath.
- Alice B. Steward, 3 mo., born at Charlton.
I have not so far found him in the 1881 census.
- Marriage: 18 Jun 1893, [59,
GRO marriage index, Jun quarter of 1893 (Woolwich, 1d, 1743)].
- Spouse: Mabel Louisa HARVEY(449).
- Birth: 1867, Portsmouth, Hampshire [GRO births index, Jun quarter of 1867, Portsea Island, 2b, 412].
- Christening: 22 May 1867, St. Thomas, Portsmouth [IGI based on church records].
- Death: Jan 1945 [59, GRO deaths index Mar quarter 1945,
Bristol, 6a, 5], aged 77.
- Burial: not known
- Father: George Henry HARVEY
- Mother: Louisa Anne MITCHELL
- Notes: Mabel Louisa was the seventh of I think nine children, all of whom were born in Poartmouth. Her
father is described in the 1871 England census as secretary to the Admiral Superintendent (of HM Dockyard, Portsmouth
- Kenneth Livingstone STEWARD (b. 1894 )
- Donald Harvey STEWARD(453) (b. 1895)
- Mary Charlotte STEWARD(454) (b. 1898)
- Alice Barbara STEWARD(455) (b. 1901)
- George Norman STEWARD(456) (b. 1904)
Some further details of these descendants can be found on a
© John Stowell 2006
Last updated on 06 Nov 2006.
Back to the main Steward page |
Contact me by E-mail