PHILIP MORTON STEWARD(443)
Birth and death
- Birth:20 Nov 1860  at Bitterne,
Hampshire [1861 England census]. GRO births index entry in the Dec quarter of 1860 (S. Stoneham,
- Christening: not known.
- Death: 29 Sep 1896 at his brother's house 82 St. John's Park, Blackheath [The Times,
of 02 Oct 1896]. There is an entry in the GRO deaths index for the Dec quarter of 1896 (Greenwich, 1d, 641).
- Burial: not known.
- Occupation: an employee of the Eastern Telegraph Service [The Times,
of 02 Oct 1896]
- Education:a school at Millbrook, Hampshire, in 1871 (see below). Otherwise not known.
- Father: James Dick STEWARD(181) (1818-1885).
- Mother: Mary Louisa HARRIS(439) (1829-1899).
- 1861 England Census:Aged 4 mo., staying at Bitterne with his parents and three older siblings:
- Mary A. Steward, aged 5
- James Steward, aged 4
- George Edgar Steward, aged 2.
- 1871 England Census: Aged 10, a pupil at a school in Millbrook, Hampshire, with his brother George
E. S. Steward, aged 12. The school was run by Emily Allford, 35. There were 16 boys at the school aged between
8 and 12.
I have not found Philip's name in the 1881 or 1891 UK census returns. Possibly that he was overseas on
both these occasions, presumably in South Africa. I have no information on when he went there, though it will
have been some time before his marriage in 1892.
- Marriage: 12 Oct 1892, [59,]Durban, Natal according to a
Hayes, Greene & related families web page
created by Steve Hayes in 2003. The Alice Sophia Briggs manuscript [
12] also says he married in South Africa.
- Spouse: Daisy Mary HICKMAN(450).
- Birth: 30 Jul 1868, Durban, Natal [
Hayes, Greene & related families web page].
- Christening: Not known.
- Death: 07 Apr 1932 , in Cape Town, Cape Province,
South Africa according to the Hayes, Greene &
related families web page
- Burial: Not known
- Father: Edward Hoste HICKMAN b. 24 May 1834 in Belbroughton, Worcestershire, England.
- Mother: Johanna Dorothea Beningfield b. 11 Jun 1838 in Cape Town, Cape Colony.
- Notes: Daisy Mary was the seventh of fourteen children, and Philip was her second husband. These and
the details of her parents above, and daughter below come from the
[ Hayes, Greene & related families web page].
- Dorothea Louisa STEWARD (04 Jun 1894 - ?)
© John Stowell 2006
Last updated on 23 Oct 2006.
Back to the main Steward page |
Contact me by E-mail