CHARLOTTE RATHBONE STEWARD(445)
Birth and death
- Birth: 29 May 1867 [59, GRO Births
index for the Jun quarter of 1867 (S. Stoneham, 2c, 62)] at Bitterne, Hampshire [1871 England census].
- Death: not known.
- Father: James Dick STEWARD(181) (1818-1885).
- Mother: Mary Louisa HARRIS(439) (1829-1899).
- 1871 England Census: Aged 3, staying at Hill House, 3 High Street,Bitterne. Also present were three
Also present is Charlotte Harris, 69, widowed mother-in-law of the absent head of household, so granny was
looking after the children, with the aid of two servants.
- Mary A Steward, aged 15, a scholar
- William M Steward, aged 14, a scholar
- Amy S Steward, aged 8, a scholar.
- 1881 England Census: aged 13, a pupil at Worcester House, Clifton, Bristol, run by
Anna M Notley, 50, and Louise L Harris, 46, joint heads of household and joint principals of this ladies
school with 13 boarding pupils aged between 12 and 18.
- 1891 England Census: Aged 23, unmarried, a school mistress, at 2 Champion Terrace, Blackheath
Road, Charlton, Greenwich, the household of her mother, Mary L Steward, 62, widow living on her own means.
Also present are:
- Edgar S Steward, son, 32, unmarried, a mercantile clerk, born at Bitterne.
- Frances J. Steward, son, 19, a medical student, born at Bitterne.
- Douglas V. Steward, son, 16, a scholar, born at Bitterne.
- George C. S.(?) Fry(?), a visitor, 29, solocitor, born in Scotland.
- Alfred S. Rathbone, boarder, 37, single, a journalist, and Charlotte's cousin.
- two servants (a housemaid and a cook).
- 1901 England Census: Aged 33, single, boarding at 1 Grand Parade, Epsom, Surrey, the house of
Ann F Rodgers, a widow, 54, and draper. Charlotte is described as a sick nurse, working on her own account.
Charlotte Rathbone Steward did not marry.
© John Stowell 2006
Last updated on 05 Nov 2006.
Back to the main Steward page |
Contact me by E-mail