DOUGLAS VILLIERS STEWARD(447)
Birth and death
- Birth: 05 Nov 1874  at Bitterne,
Hampshire [1881 England census]. GRO births index entry in the Dec quarter of 1874 (S. Stoneham,
- Christening: not known.
- Death: not known.
- Father: James Dick STEWARD(181) (1818-1885).
- Mother: Mary Louisa HARRIS(439) (1829-1899).
- 1881 England Census: Aged 6, at 29 Victoria Road, Charlton, Greenwich, with his father, head
of household, James D. Steward, 63, retired Commander P and O S N Co., his mother Mary L Steward, 57,
and two older unmarried sisters.
- 1891 England Census: Aged 16, a scholar, staying at 2 Champion Terr., Blackheath Road,
Charlton, Greenwich, at the house of his widowed mother Mary L Steward(439), and together
with three unmarried siblings:
Also present were:
- George E. S. Steward(442), 32, mercantile clerk.
- Charlotte R. Steward(445), 23, school mistress.
- Francis J. Steward(446) 19, a medical student.
- George C. S. Fry, a visitor, single, 29, solicitor, born in Scotland.
- Alfred S. Rathbone(753), a boarder, single, 37, journalist. This was a first cousin
Alice Sophia Briggs wrote that Douglas Villiers worked for the P &O, but resigned and went to
Klondyke. The only other trace of him I have found so far is a US WWI Draft Registration card, dated
12 Sep 1918, on which his address is given as 902 Ohio Street, Long Beach, Los Angeles. His age is given
as 44, which is correct, but his date of birth as 05 Nov 1873 when it should be 1874. His occupation at
the time, so far as I can read it, was as a clerk in a shipyard in LA, though I cannot read the name of
his employer. As his nearest relative he gives Mrs Mary Petley of 192 Victoria Road, Old Charlton,
London SE, and this will have been his sister Mary Alice Steward who married Frank Irvine Petley.
I have no information on whether Douglas Villiers married, or had children, or on when and where he
© John Stowell 2006
Last updated on 05 Nov 2006.
Back to the main Steward page |
Contact me by E-mail