Leonard Tatham STOWELL(21) was the second of three children of my grandparents Percy STOWELL (19) and Rose Emily BERTRAM (20). He was born on 10 Apr 1907 and christened on 30 May 19071. His birth announcement says he was born at Rutland Drive, Kersal2.
At the time of the 1911 census 3 he was at home at 3 Hanover Square, Higher Broughton, Salford, with his two siblings, in the care of their governess, Mabel Walker, and cook Elen Evans. Her parents were on holiday in Wales.
Leonard went to Gresham's School in Norfolk, entering the school on 01 Sep 1919, at the same time as his younger brother Bertram, and leaving at the end of the summer term of 19254. As he entered Greshams when he was 12, he must previously been at some other school, presumably in Manchester. That both the brothers entered the school at the same time is related to their parents' divorce.
On 03 Oct 1934 Leonard married 5 Beatrice Mary THORNTON(301) (1900-1966) 6, always known as Mary. They had no children. I don't have a wedding or any other photograph of them together, nor indeed any photograph of Mary at all, but there is a photograph of Leonard as a fairly young man.
In 1936 they were living at 9 Sherbourne Road, Bolton and from 1940 at 27 Sherbourne Road. From about 1951 they were at 1 Somerdale Avenue, Bolton 7.
Leonard was awarded the M.B.E. in the New Year's honours, 1971, and in the citation he is described as Group Works Study Officer, Northern Spinning Division, Courtolds Ltd., Maple Hill8.
Leonard died in 19849 .
1) Percy and Rose Stowell's family bible;
Greshams School Register; His birth was registered at Salford, Lancashire, Jun
quarter of 1907, vol.8d, p.61.
2) The Manchester Guardian, births, 12 Apr 1907.
3) 1911 England census, Salford, Lancashire, Ref. RG14PN24006 RG78PN1382 SD2 ED30 SN58, through Findmypast.co.uk.
4) History and Register of Greshams School, 1555-1955. Register compiled by A.B. Douglas. Published by W. S. Cowell, Ipswich 1955.
5) Percy and Rose Stowell's Family Bible; the marraige was registered at Manchester South, Dec quarter of 1934, vol.8d, p. 23.
6) Mary's birth was registered at Stockport, Mar quarter of 1900, vol.8a, p.109. Her death was registered at Bucklow, Sep quarter of 1966, vol.10a, p.144.
7) Various British telephone directories, through Ancestry.com.
8) Supplement to the London Gazette, 1st Jan 1971, p.16.
9) His death was registered in Trafford, in Apr 1984, vol.39, p.1958, reg. no. 484. The entry also gives his date of birth.
© John Stowell 2012 This file last edited on 8 January 2012.
Home | Back to the Stowell page | Surnames
Contact me by E-mail