Eileen STOWELL(22) was the eldest of three children of my grandparents Percy STOWELL(19) and Rose Emily BERTRAM (20). She was born on 29 Apr 1905 and christened on 07 Jun 19051.
At the time of the 1911 census 2 she was at home at 3 Hanover Square, Higher Broughton, Salford, with her two siblings, in the care of their governess, Mabel Walker, and cook Elen Evans. Her parents were on holiday in Wales.
Eileen went to Wycombe Abbey school in Buckinghamshire (the school register 1896-1910, revised to 1914, has been published, but not for later years so far as I know). If she went there from 11 to 18 her years would have been 1916-1923.
On 24 Apr 1924 she married Herbert Lewis BIRLEY 3. Her father Percy's address is given as 19 Spath Road, Didsbury4 .
Eileen and Herbert had three sons, all of whom married and had children.
I think Eileen was a JP, but have no evidence for this. For most of her
life she lived in Manchester, spending only her last years in a retirement
home near Wokingham. Eileen BIRLEY, née Stowell, died on 3 Dec 1999 aged 94
1) Percy and Rose Stowell's family bible. Her
birth was registered at Salford, Lancashire, Jun quarter of 1905, vol.8d, p.
2) 1911 England census, Salford, Lancashire, Ref. RG14PN24006 RG78PN1382 SD2 ED30 SN58, through Findmypast.co.uk.
3) The Times, marriages, Tues 29 Apr 1924. The marriage was registered at Chorlton, Lancashire, Jun quarter of 1924, vol.8c, p.1493.
4) Manchester Guardian, marriages, 28 Apr 1924.
5) Family information. Her death was registered in Wokingham, Berkshire, District No. 3231, Reg. No. WOK3A, Entry No. 268. The entry also gives her date of birth.
© John Stowell 2012 This file last edited on 6 January 2012.
Home | Back to the Stowell page | Surnames
Contact me by E-mail