Ellen Cecilia STOWELL(144) was born on 12 Apr 18661. Ellen was the fourth of fourteen children of the Rev. Thomas Alfred STOWELL(68), who had the previous year taken over his father's living at Christ Church, Salford, and Emma TATHAM(69). She was baptised by her father at Christ Church on 27 Jun 18662. She was the first of the family to be born at Salford, but I have not found her birth in the GRO births index. She died on 23 Mar 19353.
In all of the England Census returns from 1871 to 1891 she is in the household of her parents. Thus in 18714, aged 4, she was at 27 The Crescent, Salford, and ten years later5, aged 14 and now attending school, she was at 46 The Crescent, Salford. By 18916 the family was at the Rectory in Park Road, Chorley, Lancashire, and she was 24 and of no occupation.
On 05 Jul 1900 Ellen married Dr. Hugh Kennedy BIRLEY(678), when they were both already in their 30's7. The marriage was celebrated at Chorley parish church by the Rev. Canon STOWELL, that is her father, then Rector of Chorley, assisted by the Rev. Hugh Hornby BIRLEY and the Rev. Reginald STOWELL, Ellen's younger brother8.
In 19019, aged 34, together with her husband Hugh, aged 32, she was at 54 Derby Road, Pendleton, Salford, Lancashire. They had two servants, Sarah HAYES, 30, their cook, and Maggie JONES, 19, a housemaid. In 191110, she seems to have been staying at the Palace Hotel, Birkdale, Southport, Lancashire, without her husband. She had been married for 10 years, and had no children. My guess is that she was visiting relations, possibly her parents, though not staying with them. The only photograph of them is one taken around 1911 of her parents with all their children and in-laws.
On 23 Mar 1935 Ellen, of The Nab, Windermere, Westmorland, died at the High Elms Nursing Home, Upper Park Road, Victoria Park, Manchester. Administration of her estate was granted on 02 May 1935 at Manchester,to Emma Tatham STOWELL, spinster, and Leonard STOWELL chartered accountant11. Effects were £9030 13s. 9d. She must have moved to Windermere some time after Hugh died.
1) Famil of Rev. Thomas Alfred STOWELL, by J.
A. Stowell; chart B-S831, Oct 1993; Ancestry.com one world tree
2) Baptismal register of Christ Church, Salford, No. 1352, microfilm MFPR 171, Manchester Central Library.
4) 1871 England census, Salford, RG10, piece 4023, folio 19, p.34, through Ancestry.com.
5) 1881 England census, Salford, RG11, piece 3966, folio 37, p.11, through Ancestry.com.
6) 1891 England census, Chorley, RG12, piece 3423, folio 30, p.3, through Ancestry.com.
7) GRO marriage index, Chorley, Lancashire, Sep quarter of 1900, vol.8c, p.897.
8) The Times, London, 09 Jul 1900.
9) 1901 England census, Pendleton, RG13, piece 3716, folio 153, p.1, through Ancestry.com.
10) 1911 England census, Ormskirk, Reg. District 457, piece 22852, through Ancestry.com.
11) England and Wales National Probate Calendar, 1861-1941, Calendar for 1935, p.335, through Ancestry.com.
© John Stowell 2012 This file last edited on 27 January 2012.
Home | Back to the Stowell page | Surnames
Contact me by E-mail