Lucy STOWELL was born on 25 Nov 18801, probably at 46 The Crescent, Salford, and baptised by her father at Christ Church, Salford, on 02 Feb 18812. She was the last of the fourteen children of Thomas Alfred STOWELL and Emma TATHAM. In 18813 , when she was 5 months old, the family was at 46 The Crescent, Salford. In 18914, when she was 10, she was at The Rectory, 2 Park Road, Chorley, with her parents.
In Jan 1897, when she was not quite 17, she entered Wycombe Abbey School. She
won a place at Girton College, Cambridge, matriculating in 1899, and taking a 2nd
in the history tripos in Jun 19025
. On passing her Part I in 1901, Wycombe Abbey School had
a whole holiday,
in honour of Lucy Stowell, who had been placed in the second class for History, Part I;
we all felt very grateful to her, and also very proud of the winner of our first
At the 1901 census7, the
fact that she was a student was not mentioned, and she was again at 2 Park Road in
Chorley with her parents.
It is said that Lucy taught, for a while at least, possibly at St. Leonard's School in St. Andrews, a sister school to Wycombe Abbey. But she had mood problems and was not well suited to teaching. The story also goes that she met her first husbend when her class was being inspected by him. At any rate, she married Francis Robert JAMIESON(153) on 17 Dec 1907, the celebrant being her brother Rex 8. She was 27 and Francis 45.
|This photograph comes from a family photograph taken in about 1911 of Lucy's parents, siblings and in-laws.|
Lucy and Francis had two children:
In 19119 the family was at 8 Saunders Street, Southport, Lancashire, on a visit. This is possibly when the group photograph was taken from which the portrait at the head of this section has been extracted. Their normal address was given as 5 Mayfield Gardens, Edinburgh.
Following the death of Francis Robert JAMIESON in 1927, Lucy was unable to support herself, and remarried on 04 Oct 1928, Denis Machell HOLLINS 10, at All Saints, Burton in Lonsdale. Denis was a second cousin through his maternal grandmother Anne REMINGTON(1104). Lucy was then a month short of her 48th birthday, and he a year older. On 27 Oct 1928 she and Denis sailed from Liverpool on the SS Scythia, bound for Boston11 , presumably on honeymoon.
Lucy died on 11 May 1961 at the Royal Waterloo Hospital, Lambeth, London 12. Her address was given as 28 Morshead Mansions, Maida Vale, London, presumably the home of her daughter Norna. Probate on her estate was granted at Lancaster on 11 Aug 1961 to Frances Stowell JAMIESON, actuary, her son. Her effects were £17,682 7s 5d.
1) Wycombe Abbey Register, 1896-1910. GRO births
index, Salford, Dec quarter of 1880, vol.8d, p.173.
2) Baptismal register of Christ Church, Salford, on microfilm at Manchester Central Library. The register has also been transcribed as part of the Lancashire Online Parish Clerk Project, based on LDS film 1786366, baptisms 1872-1882, p.284, entry 2208. A margin entry says she was born on Oct 1880
3) 1881 England census, Salford, Lancashire, RG11, piece 3966, folio 37, p.11, through Ancestry.com, accessed 20 June 2013.
4) 1891 England census, Chorley, Lancashire, RG12, piece 3423, folio 30, p.3, through Ancestry.com, accessed 20 June 2013.
5) Wycombe Abbey Register, 1896-1910; The Times, 16 Jun 1902.
6) Wycombe Abbey Gazette, Nov. 1901, p.226.
7) 1901 England census, Chorley, Lancashire, RG13, piece 3935, folio 15, p.22, through Ancestry.com, accessed 20 June 2013.
8) The marriage was registered at Ormskirk, Lancashire, in the Dec quarter of 1907, vol.8b, p.1275.
9) 1911 England Census, Ormskirk, Ref.RG14PN22896 RG78PN1340A RD457 SD6 ED3 SN178, through Findmypast.co.uk, accessed 6 Aug 2016.
10) The Times, Marriages, 06 Oct 1928.
11) National Archives and Records Administration; Washington, D.C.; Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at Boston, Massachusetts, 1917-1943; Microfilm Serial: T938; Microfilm Roll:341, through Ancestry.com, accessed 20 June 2013.
12) England and Wales National Probate Calendar, 1858-1966. Calendar for 1961, p.671, through Ancestry.com, accessed 20 June 2013. Her death was registered at Lambeth, in the Jun quarter of 1961, vol.5c, p.1054.
© John Stowell 2016 This file last edited on 6 August 2016.