Annie Irene STOWELL(155) was baptised by her father on 12 Feb 1865 at St. Stephen's, Bowling, Bradford 1, and so was probably born in late 1864. She was the third child of the Rev. Thomas Alfred STOWELL(68), at the time the Perpetual Curate of St. Stephen's, Bowling, in Bradford, and Emma TATHAM(69). I am not sure whether her birth was registered, but there is a possible entry in Manchester2. Annie died in 1954, aged 893. She did not marry.
In all of the England Census returns from 1871 to 1901 she is in the household of her parents. Thus in 18714, aged 6 and a schoolgirl, she was at 27 The Crescent, Salford, and ten years later5 , aged 16 and still attending school, she was at 46 The Crescent, Salford. By 18916 the family was at the Rectory in Park Road, Chorley, Lancashire, and she was 26 and of no occupation. In 19017, aged 36, together with three of her unmarried sisters, she was in her parents' house at 2 Park Road, Chorley.
Then in 1911 8, she was on holiday at the Colwyn Bay Hotel, Colwyn Bay, in Wales, together with her uncle, Leonard TATHAM(137), and her brother Percy STOWELL(19), my grandfather, and his wife Rose STOWELL(20). Some time probably that same year, a family photograph was taken of all of her siblngs and in-laws together with her parents. From this group photograph the picture of her at the head of this page has been extracted.
Annie is said to have kept house at Lowfields, Burton-in-Lonsdale for her uncle Leonard TATHAM, who was a bachelor. This may be the reason she was on holiday with him in 1911. After Leonard TATHAM died in 1928, I am guessing that Annie teamed up with her older sister Emma Tatham STOWELL, who had also not married, and they lived together at Kirkby Lonsdale in Westmorland.
1) Unublished descendant chart, Family of
Rev. Thomas Alfred STOWELL, M.A., Canon of Manchester, by J. A. Stowell,
chart B-S831, Oct 1993. Her baptismal record is from Ancestry.com, West
Yorkshire, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1910; Baptismal register of St.
Stephen's, Bowling, 1865, p.21, from original at West Yorkshire Archives,
2) There is an Annie STOWELL whose birth was registered in Manchester, Dec quarter of 1864, vol.8d, p.107, which might be her.
3) GRO deaths index, Westmorland South, Mar quarter of 1954, vol.1b, p.660.
4) 1871 England census, Salford, RG10, piece 4023, folio 19, p.34
5) 1881 England census, Salford, RG11, piece 3966, folio 37, p.11, through Ancestry.com.
6) 1891 England census, Chorley, RG12, piece 3423, folio 30, p.3, through Ancestry.com.
7) 1901 England census, Chorley, RG13, piece 3935, folio 15, p.22, through Findmypast.co.uk.
8) 1911 Wales census, Conway, Carnarvonshire, Ref. RG14PN34549 RG78PN1999 RD632 SD3 ED5 SN1, through Findmypast.co.uk.
© John Stowell 2012 This file last edited on 03 February 2012.
Home | Back to the Stowell page | Surnames
Contact me by E-mail