Catharine SYMES(2200) was baptised at Bridport, Dorset, on 1 Mar 1782, the daughter of Jos (Joseph) and Sarah SYMES1, and was presumably born earlier that year.
Catharine SYMES married James HOOD on 8 Apr 1803 at Bridport, Dorset 2, when she would have been about 21 and he 24. Whereas he signed the register, she only made her mark, so was illiterate at the time.
They had, it seems, 9 children all of whom were baptised at the Independent Meeting House in Barrack Street, Bridport3.
At the 1841 census4, Catherine HOOD, aged 55, born in the county, was at Factory(?) in Symondsbury, Dorset, which is a couple of km NW of Bridport. Also present were:
At the 1851 census5, aged 69 and described as a Factory spinner's widow, she was a visitor in the household of the 66 year old master baker John THOMAS and his wife Sarah at Barton East Street in Bridport.
At the 18616 census a Catherine HOOD, widow, was at South Street, Bridport, and possibly described as an almswoman and spinner, but head of household, born in Bridport. There does seem to have been a set of almshouses in South Street, Bridport, nowadays listed buildings7.
Catherine HOOD died on 13 Oct 1864 at South Street, Bridport8, aged 82. She was described as the widow of James HOOD, formerly foreman in a sail cloth manufactory. The informant was Sarah POMEROY, also of South Street, possibly her daughter, though I have not found her in the 1861 census so far. Possibly both were almshouses residents.
She was buried at Symondsbury on 6 Nov 18649.
1) England, Dorset, Parish Registers, 1538-1936, index
and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch,org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KZM4-GBD: accessed
07 Oct 2014), Catharine Symes, 01 Mar 1782; Christening, citing Bridport, Dorset,
England, Record Office, Dorchester; FHL microfilm 2427418.
2) Page image from the marriage register of Bridport, 1803, p.264, no.1068, through Ancestry.com, accessed 6 Oct 2014, from original at Dorset Record Office, Ref: PE/BT: RE4.
3) Page images for all of the baptisms are available through www.bmdregisters.co.uk, from originals at the National Archives, Kew, RG4. There are two registers: RG4/457, which covers the years 1795-1819, and RG4/583 which covers 1815 to 1836. The latter register records both parents, so that Mary, born in 1819, appears in both, and her entry in RG4/583 says her parents were James HOOD and Catherine SYMES, and that James was a flax spinner.
4) 1841 England census, HO 107, piece 282, book 9, folio 29, p.3, through Ancestry.com, accessed 6 Oct 2014.
5) 1851 England census, HO 107, piece 1861, folio 309, p.7, through Findmypast.co.nz, accessed 28 Oct 2014.
6) 1861 England census, RG9, piece 1368, folio 29, p.12, through Findmypast.co.uk, accessed 28 Oct 2014.
7) http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/ en-402926-almshouses-bridport-dorset.
8) Death certificate. Her death was registered at Bridport, Dec quarter of 1864, vol.5a, p.262.
9) Burial register for the parish of Symondsbury, p.137, no.1089, page image through Ancestry.com, accessed 8 Oct 2014, from original at Dorset History Centre; Dorset Parish Projects; Ref: PE/SYM: RE 3/7, 4/1, 5/1-4.
© John Stowell 2014 This file last edited on 29 October 2014.