Joseph TEMPLEMAN(2152) was named as the father of John TEMPLEMAN(1720) in the latter's 1796 baptismal record1, and the mother was named as Ann. There is a marriage record for a Joseph TEMPLEMAN and Ann SHEAN (2153) on 3 Oct 1796 at Corton Denham, Somerset2, which is where John TEMPLEMAN was born. If they were his parents then their son was on the way when they were married, not at all unusual.
From the census returns for 1841 and 1851 below, Joseph was born in Ilminster, Somerset, in 1766/67. At present the baptismal registers for St Mary's, Ilminster, are available for the period 1770-1837 only, and the records for 1660-1770 are in the process of being transcribed3, so confirmation of his baptism is not yet available. He must have moved quite early on the considerable distance of about 50 km from Ilminster to Corton Denham, where he married and seems to have spent most of his life.
There were eight baptisms at Corton Denham of children of Joseph and Ann TEMPLEMAN 4:
At the 1841 England census5 Joseph TEMPLEMAN, aged 75, and an agricultural labourer, not born in the county (Dorset), Ann TEMPLEMAN, aged 69, born in the county, and George TEMPLEMAN, aged 32 (so born 1808/09) and also an agricultural labourer, were at Weathergrove in the field called Woodhouse (this is as transcribed, I found the image difficult to make out), Sandford Orcas, in Dorset. Weathergrove is about 1 km NNE of Sandford, and is actually nearer to Corton Denham than Sandford, which is just across the county boundary from Corton Denham. In fact Sandford Orcas was originally in Somerset, and the county boundary was altered in 1896.
The age given for George TEMPLEMAN is not consistent with their son George, and I have not found any George TEMPLEMAN baptised in Somerset in 1808/09 or thereabouts.
At the 1851 England census 6 Joseph, aged 84 and born in Ilminster, Somerset, and his wife Ann, aged 78 and born in Corton Denham, Somerset, were at Holway Farm House, Corton Denham, both described as paupers. Holway is just a short distance east of Sandford7.
A Joseph TEMPLEMAN died on 1 May 1857 8 at Corton Denham, and was buried there on 6 May 1857, aged 90 9. His wife had died the previous year.
1) Transcribed baptism registers of St Andrew,
Corton Denham, 1538-1913, available through
2) Transcribed marriage registers for St Andrew, Corton Denham, 1538-1812, 1837-1913, 1813-1837 in progress, through FreeREG.
3) FreeREG, counties and parishes coverage, as at 19 May 2014.
4) See note 1 above.
5) 1841 England census, Sandford Orcas, Somerset, HO107, piece 945, folio 3, p.1, through Findmypast.co.uk, accessed 16 May 2014.
6) 1851 England census, Corton Denham, Somerset, HO107, piece 1931, folio 239, p.8, through Findmypast.co.uk, accessed 16 May 2014.
7) Weathergrove and Holway are shown on the 1945 1 inch to 1 mile OS map sheet 166 availably online through www.visionofbritain.org.uk, and the 1:10560 (6 inch to 1 mile) OS county series maps, available online through www.british-history.ac.uk.
8) Death certificate. GRO deaths index, Wincanton, Somerset, Jun quarter 1857, vol.5c, p.350. Wincanton included the civil parish of Corton Denham.
9) Transcribed burial registers of St Andrew, Corton Denham, 1559-1913, through FreeREG, accessed 15 May 2014.
© John Stowell 2014 This file last edited on 9 June 2014.