Ann WATLING(1716) may have been the mother of great-great grandfather George BERTRAM(163), and the wife of William BARTRAM (1715), but it is not possible to be sure. William and Anne BARTRAM were named as the parents of George BARTRAM/BERTRAM who was baptised at Wangford in Suffolk on 17 Dec 18201, and there is a record of a William BARTRAM marrying Ann WATLING on 14 Dec 1818 at Bramfield in Suffolk2, a date which fits with George's baptism.
If Anne was around 21 when she married, then she was born around or before 1798, possibly in Frostenden. There is a baptismal record for an Ann WATLING daughter of Isaac WATLING and Elizabeth at Bramfield, in Suffolk, on 27 Sep 18013, which if hers would have made her 19 when she married, also at Bramfield.
At the 1841 census Ann and William were at Bath House Hill, Wangford4, with eight children, all born in Suffolk, and possibly not all theirs. For the full household see William's page.
By the time of the 1851 census5 William and Ann BARTRAM were at North Green, Southwold, with just four of their children. For the fill household see William's page.
Then at the 1861 census6, still at North Green, Southwold, Ann BARTRAM, aged 61, born at Bramfield, was together with her husband William BARTRAM, aged 64, a Labourer, born in Uggeshall. There were no others present.
Family trees on Ancestry.com7 have a number of other children than those who appear in the census returns, and a fuller list may be:
It is probable that a number of the children died in infancy or childhood. Some further information on George's siblings is being put into a separate page, and I hope that the Suffolk deaths index from the Suffolk FHS will shed some light when it arrives. The dates given in the above list are from the public family trees on ancestry, and have not (yet) been verified by me.
Ann's husband William BARTRAM died in 18628, with his death registered in Wangford district.
There is a burial record for Ann BATTRAM at St Edmund's Churchyard, Southwold, in 1864, aged 649, but I have yet to find a corresponding entry in the GRO deaths index.
1) Ancestry.com. England, Select Births and Christenings,
1538-1975 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014.
Index entry only based on FHL film 918505, no image available curently.
2) "England Marriages, 1538Ð1973 ," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NKCB-FYG : 10 December 2014), William Bartram and Ann Watling, 14 Dec 1818; citing Bramfield,Suffolk,England, reference ; FHL microfilm 481,073.
3) Ancestry.com. England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014, from FHL film 481073.
4) 1841 England census, Wangford, Suffolk, HO107, piece 1017, book 5, folio 6, p.4, page image through Findmypast.co.uk.
5) 1851 England census, Southwold, Suffolk, HO107, piece 1803, folio 801, p.3, page image through Findmypast.co.uk.
6) 1861 England census, Blything, suffolk, RG9, piece 1183, folio 64, p.32, through Findmypast.co.uk.
7) Matthews Family Tree; http://person.ancestry.com.au/ tree/86916583/person/77017627074/facts. Also http://person.ancestry.com.au/tree/60078278/ person/46134066907/facts.
8) GRO deaths index, Wangford, Suffolk, Dec quarter 1862, vol. 4a, p.435.
9) This comes from the Findagrave website from a record added on 8 May 2016. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=162315014&ref=acom.
© John Stowell 2012 This file last edited on 19 June 2011.